Thursday, March 24, 2011

I Feel a Little Jumpy Around You

This poem is called "Fet Walks Melody Home" by Gary Hyland. I had to read it a couple times to understand what it meant but after you get it, it's really funny. Okay here it is: Is she too quiet or am I swamping her with jabber? In Budapest students our age battle tanks. I chuck snowballs at trees, worry that my coat's too small. Oh, I love her furry boots. "Didja see the show at the Cap?" "Yeah, Elaine and I went last night." Should I talk more or does he prefer good listeners? He asks questions then clams up. Looks like a kid in that coat and clowns like on in the snow. Wish he was more mature. Why'd I wear these stupid boots? I really like this poem because it is a situation that's kindof sad but funny at the same time. At first the guy is thinking his point of view while he's on a date of some kind with a girl and he's talking too much and acting silly. Then it changes to the girls point of view and she's thinking about how maybe she isn't talking too much and wishing he wasn't so immature. My favorite part is how he thinks to himself how he likes her boots, and then she thinks to herself why did I wear these stupid boots. That really shows the difference and incompatibility between the two people. I feel bad for the guy, but he should grow up. And the girl should just put him out, but maybe she should be silly every now and then too.

No comments:

Post a Comment