Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I Feel A Little Jumpy Around You-Pg. 1-15

I began a new book the other day. I originally picked it from the library as a poetry book to fill my poetry book with poems, but as I read I decided to continue reading and decipher most all the poems (or more realistically), read all of them and analyze my favorites. The book is so cute so far, it's about males and females and the way they think about life, love and each other. It interests me very much because the way the authors believe a bond between a man and a woman or a girl and a boy is, is different than most people would think. There's this poem that is my absolute favorite so far. It's called The Sky is Blue, by David Ignatow and it's short so I'll copy it down. Put things in their place, my mother shouts. I am looking out the window, my plastic soldier at my feet. The sky is blue and empty. In it floats the roof across the street. What place, I ask her. Honestly, the more I look into poetry, the more I understand that the poets don't want you to understand what the poem means. I think the reason why they are so tricky is so that it can mean so many different things, and pertain to so many different people. This poem, I think demonstrates a sure solitude of the boy. I feel like (and I could be wrong) the plastic soldier laying at his feet symbolizes the fact that he hopes to become a soldier someday when he grows up. But the boy is sad, and lonely for the time being while he waits, staring into the empty blue sky.

1 comment:

  1. I love this poem as well, and my understanding of it is this... His mother is shouting, she is out of control. He is staring out the window, where in his suburban existence, the roof is where is always was, floating on eternally. His plastic soldier (plastic, artificial) is a false sense of order. What place he asks, because what place does ANYTHING have, and who decides where anything goes? It is very existential, because in turn, what place do we have in this life? I hope this gives you a different perspective on this wonderful poem.

    ReplyDelete