Friday, March 18, 2011

I Feel A Little Jumpy Around You- Pg. 16-34

A lot of these poems in this book are super confusing. They don't really follow a specific story line like some poetry does. What I mean is like in Touch by Kathryn Kerr, it says "Mother was a washcloth". I don't have the slightest idea what that means. There's such a wide range of what that one line could mean. And to be honest, I keep reading these poems just because it makes me feel sophisticated and British to read poetry that I don't understand. I bet British people read confusing poetry too. Well, there's this one poem that caught my eye. It's called Rose by Cill Janeway. I don't want to copy it down because it's so long but oh well. Here it is. My cousin named her baby Rose. Rose like a flower, like a deep red flower everyone wants to smell, to touch, to tame. When I think of Rose, I think of Rising She Rises She Rose like the sun, like flying, like magic like an angry woman rising out of the home. Rose has a birthmark under her right eye; it shines when she smiles. When people stop to look at the child, they say "Oh what a sweet baby, oh, but you could have that removed, you know it's very easy, you know." And they will. They will try as they have tried to pick every woman's Rose they will try to take hers try to keep her from knowing her name from Rising. What I like about this poem is the strange way it is formatted. It really catches your eye and makes you pay much attention when reading it. I think what it is talking about, it the girl having a birthmark, and that birthmark is her "rose". The "rose" is what makes her beautiful and what makes her, her. And they is probably posed as society, and society is trying to make everyone the same and take away uniqueness, which is sad....because every rose should be able to rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment