Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Road-Cormac McCarthy Pg. 33-130

I kept meaning to take a break from reading to write an entry in this blog, but I got so lost in the book!  Even though the first part of the book started out a little slow...it has gotten quite better in my opinion.  I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but I always seem to read this book at night when the lights are off with a flashlight.  I shouldn't do that though, because it's actually somewhat scary and graphic at times.

 The man and boy are still traveling but conditions aren't getting any better for them.  The snow hasn't stopped falling and they have eaten the last of their food.  They had a cart with all their belongings (or what was left of them), but when they came across "the bad guys", as the man described to the boy, they were forced to leave their cart and run.  Earlier, I had said that the boy seemed rather mature for his age, but I think I've changed my mind.  Living on the verge of death, is not a way to live at all.  This boy, though, is being forced to do so.  He has been exposed to many things, which leads to him wondering about them and asking questions.  The man tries his best to protect him, and does a fine job of it, but at the same time the boy cannot help but be scared.   

The most traumatic part of the book so far, is when the man and boy come across a house that has many essentials for living, so they look around.  When they open the door to the basement they see faces of people in desperation and voices calling out for help.  I can't imagine seeing that, especially as a young child.      

No comments:

Post a Comment